March 2, 2012

DIY T Shirt Headbands.

These are adorable. And a GREAT way to recycle old unwanted T Shirts.
I saw these on pintrest, so I looked for a great tutorial and ran across this page!! 
Really hope you enjoy!


~You will need~
1// Old T-shirts any color, the one I am making I’m using white and pink.
2//Scissors
3//Glue gun or Needle and Thread (or both, I use both)
4//A flat surface to work on, I use a bulletin board. So I can pin down my fabric to braid, Makes it very simple.
*And know how to braid. The one I'm making for my blog is just a simple. Not a fancy braid. There are tons of styles of braids you can make, just look for them online.

~Steps~
1// To start, you will cut 3 strips from the bottom of the T-shirt. Depending on the width of the headband you want. You can make it very skinny or super thick. Today I’m going for in between, about 1inch thick. 
The shirt im using has seems, so it’s going to make it an ill more difficult.
 Most T-shirts don’t have seems on the sides.

2// After you have your three fabric strips you will cut one end so it makes one long strip.
3// You will stretch the fabric so it curls,Strech them all out together make sure they are the same size, if there’s any extra trim to make even, set the scraps off to the side you will use some later.
4// Sew one end of the strands together(Make sure to use a thread that is close to the colors of the fabric you are using, am using something you can see to learn),then pin down to your bulletin board(or whatever you prefer) *I know its very hard to see the stitching in the picture,im sorry*

5// You will braid almost the whole length of the strips of fabric; I’d stop about an inch before the end (room for sewing and finishing).
6// You will sew the end (just how you did at the top where the pin is holding it to your board.) What I do for this end though is alil different ill run the needle & thread thru the fabric then wrap around and then back thru to make it secure (hope that’s understandable)*Again,sorry for the horrible picture*
7// You will unpin, and measure around your head I'd give alil extra room, remember the material stretches also, on some tutorial you will see they sew in an elastic hair tie, you can do this is you desire. I prefer not to. (If you prefer to, all you would do is now sew the elastic tie to both end, and voilĂ  that ends your head bead. Ours, is NOT finished)
8// Now you will sew the two ends together, to form a headband. I did the wrap around stitch like in step #6.Please make sure to stretch the headband out so the it doesn’t curve before sewing. (I made that mistake with one of the first ones I made and it twisted all up,not pretty!)
 9// Now you will take a piece of the fabric I mentioned earlier to save, Cut it into a square/rectangle ,You will GLUE this piece to cover the stitch work to make it neat. I prefer gluing; you can sew if you would rather do that.
10// Volia’, beautiful recycled T-shirt headband. 
Also if you have any braided fabric left, you can make a cute little bracelet.


*Here is an example of the bracelet i made from another headband i made earlier*

A great way to recycle old T-shirts your planning on throwing away!

Enjoy!!
<3 


1 comment:

  1. Neat! I have a lot of old tshirts but they are most black band tees and I couldn't destroy them. I plan to alter them to fit me now or maybe someday I'll fit in them. Ha ha. If not, I think a big quilt would be awesome someday!
    I forgot that you got the pleasure of meeting Sheba! That's so awesome! :)
    And yeah, I saw you tagged me. My answers are scheduled to post soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete